The volunteer is one of the most important members of the RDA Team. Without people like you, RDA would not exist.
Throughout the country more than 26,000 riders and carriage drivers look forward to their riding/carriage driving sessions and in order to do this they are relying on people like you to make it happen. Each year RDA’s volunteers contribute more than 3 1/2 million hours of their time to make a real and lasting difference to the lives of riders and carriage drivers.
You are joining something amazing – thank you!
There are lots of things to get to grips with at RDA – so don’t be afraid to ask. Your Group Organiser and the other volunteers will be pleased to help. Below are some guidelines to consider and qualities of the ideal RDA volunteer, reinforcing what you will learn first-hand at your Group. We hope that it will help you become a confident member of the team and that you will enjoy coming to RDA as much as the riders and that you will share their excitement and achievements.
Sympathy without sentimentality
Alertness without anxiety
Interest in the rider as a person
You are an important member of the team
THE IDEAL HELPER...
- is always on time, at least ten minutes before the session begins and ensures that notice is given if unable to attend.
- is armed with 100% concentration and is suitably dressed.
- is prepared to do any job that they are capable of from tacking up, unloading riders from the bus, chatting to a nervous rider or welcoming a new helper.
- is always alert when mounting riders, ready to give a helping hand if needed but never too much. Most riders prefer to struggle and achieve rather than be manhandled into position. Help, if needed, should be given with kindness, humour and dignity.
- is always aware of the rider's abilities, temperament and mood.
- is aware of what the Instructor wishes to achieve for the rider, always concentrating on the Instructor's words and quietly reinforcing the message.
WHATEVER YOUR ROLE, YOUR HELP IS NEEDED AND APPRECIATED.
IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, OTHER MEMBERS OF THE GROUP ARE ALWAYS HAPPY TO HELP